Summer is a wonderful time for cookouts and pool gatherings; however, it can also be an uncomfortable and even dangerous time. Some of the most common issues individuals seem to have during the hot months are dehydration, heat exhaustion, and increased energy consumption. There are several ways to cool down and keep cool during the heat wave which cost little to nothing.
Fight Energy Consumption
It is very important to ensure your refrigerator is in peak condition throughout all of the seasons. Simply keeping your fridge cleaned out and organized can reduce the amount of energy it burns. Optimum temps are 0° F for the freezer and 40° for the refrigerator compartment. Check to see if it has a power saver setting or switch and use it as directed by the owner’s manual. A number of other energy saving tips are listed below:
- Avoid using the oven as much as possible. If it is necessary to turn it on, try baking several meals at once and bake during the cooler morning hours.
- Whenever possible, exchange incandescent bulbs with screw-in fluorescent types. Try to keep all lights turned off when not in use.
- The recommendations for thermostat temperature settings in the summer time is 76 to 78° F. Cover windows with blinds, blackout curtains, or thermal drapes to keep the heat out. Only run the air conditioner when opening a window simply is not an option.
- Caulk all cracks as well as seal all windows and doors where possible. Do not forget to make sure that cool air cannot escape, if you have a window type air conditioning unit.
- Hand a clothes line outside and/or purchase a drying rack to void using the clothes dryer. To cool the apartments Ann Arbor off without burning energy hand a wet sheet if front of a window.
Simple Cool-down Tips
There are a number of simple things to keep in mind while battling the summer heat wave. Making a habit out of them will not only keep you cooler, but much more comfortable and happy. Summer time should be fun and enjoyable, not completely miserable.
- Choose light colored clothes made of cotton which are loose fitting.
- While enjoying time outdoors keep a clean spray bottle full of water to spritz with.
- Rinse used, plastic drink bottles, fill with water leaving about 1 inch of space at the top, and freeze. Ready-made ice water will be waiting for you.
- Invest in a few electric fans including one which fits directly into a window. This keeps the air inside the apartment circulating and cooler. Pick up at least one fan which oscillates to place strategically.
It takes the effort of planning and sticking to that plan to keep reasonably comfortable in the summer. Most cool down tips do not cost a dime. Heat exhaustion is extremely serious and it is important to do everything in your power to prevent it. Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids and, if you suspect you are suffering from heat stroke, seek immediate professional medical attention.
A minute saved is a minute eanedr, and this saved hours!